Do you or someone you love struggle emotionally?
Essential oils are quickly becoming a wonderful resource for battling devastating emotions and depression. Wherever you are on your health journey, this information could be another piece of the puzzle! Special thanks to Carissa Sherman for all of her work in this area and for compiling this information:
1. The root cause of the depression and anxiety can help you personalize your oil routine. Consistently inhaling oil is very beneficial, because when you inhale, the oil is directly impacting the limbic center of your brain where you process emotions/stress.
2. Valor is the first thing to try. It is especially useful for general anxiety and fears, even after they have developed into panic attacks, phobias, etc. Put it on frequently.
3. Joy is an incredible oil for depression that is causing feelings of hopelessness, darkness, lack of vision for the next moment/future, debilitating sadness, a definite go-to in cases of suicidal thoughts.
4. Frankincense. This oil is excellent for cultivating a “sound mind.” It can spark creative imagination, which if disciplined to stay away from fear, the imagination can be completely fundamental in healing from depression! Use your creative thought! Frankincense truly changes body chemistry. I know they all do…but Frankincense is awesome. It is in several emotional oils.
5. White Angelica is helpful for people who really struggle with taking on burdens for others, taking offense for others, feeling stressed because of awareness of others’ emotions all the time, “mercy” people, etc. This can most definitely result in anxiety and lack of sleep, and lack of sleep often is a breeding ground for depression. Feel free to call this oil “Carissa’s oil.”
6. The citrus oils are inexpensive, and ALL of them are great for anxiety and depression, and also attention disorders. I love diffusing tangerine, it is so uplifting! You’ll notice that a couple of the big “stress” oils have citruses in them, like Peace & Calming and Stress Away, (two of my personal favorites).
7. There is an entire grouping of what you might hear called the “Feelings” oils, or “emotional” oils. This is not because they are not useful for physical issues, like if you look at the ingredients they have oils in them that are suggested for every kind of physical ailment…it’s just that those combinations are synergistic emotionally. Just as each single oil has an affinity for a certain part or system of the body, they also have emotional affinity. Those blends have been researched and formulated to have the strongest affinity possible. Try any of the feelings oils that you want, and KEEP trying them!
8. The frequency of the oil can be affected by how have positioned your thoughts as you use the oil, and we have all seen the science recently behind frequency and disease. Don’t open the bottle until you’ve taken a moment to be grateful. This will actually INCREASE the frequency! Which is what we want! Higher frequency = less terrain for disease.
9. There is a book called “Releasing Emotional Patterns with Essential Oils” that is really awesome. I highly suggest exploring its pages. It can help you find specific oils to use, AND tell you where the best place to put them is, because there are alarm points on the body for emotions.
If you’re still reading, know that my passion is for women to be freed from the things that prevent us from truly receiving love from the one true source. The greatest capacity for loving others comes when I learn how to BE loved. This is not selfishness, it is freedom so that I can give to others regardless of their response.
Of all the interesting things I have heard of, learned about, tried, or come across, the oils are hands down the safest, the most effective, and simplest modality for this, because they address the physical/emotional/spiritual with no toxicity or side effects.
If you’re not sure where to begin, I’d love to talk with you, and I am already in prayer for you.
Dr. Carissa Sherman, N.D.